Thursday, July 2, 2009

What freedom Means to Me

Freedom is teaching my children that they live in a land raised up and blessed by a loving God. It is teaching them that this land was given to them with an obligation that they will maintain liberty by living a principled life with high moral standards. It is teaching them that "the pursuit of happiness" is not the "pursuit of pleasure and instant gratification." Thus it is showing them how to make difficult choices and do hard things, in spite of the choices made by others.

Freedom is living in a land whose shores and borders are defended from invasion day and night by men and women who are honored and cherished by those whom they protect whether in a distant land or in a patrol car. It is the ability to defend my rights and those of my family whether by the power of the pen or the shotgun stowed under my bed.

Freedom is an adversarial press and recourse to confront tyranny in any of its power-grabbing forms.

Freedom is not being hindered from success in my own endeavors or robbed of the nobility which arises from overcoming my own failures.

Freedom is extending a helping hand of my own volition without compulsion to my neighbor in his hour of need or turning to him in my own moment of distress.

Freedom is being governed by the "dictates of my own {principled} conscience" instead of lazily looking to "Big Brother" to do everything, thinking included, for me.

HAPPY 4th OF JULY EVERYONE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Uncle Mark! Hope you get to celebrate it with your favorite meal and desert! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete